Do you need a licence to clean air conditioning? | Call: 0447 112 952

ARC refrigeration authority

Air Conditioning Legislation

Fair Trading NSW
Australian Government
Australian Refrigeration Council

Licence to clean air conditioning


Do you need a licence to clean air conditioning? HVAC licencing and legislation applies to HVAC hygiene and air conditioning cleaning to protect customers, workers and the environment. Coil Clean Services actively supports industry best practice and operates responsibly under local and national statutory regulations. Our technicians are licensed, and trade qualified for all air conditioning and refrigeration work.


Do you need a license to clean split air conditioning?

You need a licence before you can do any air conditioning and/or refrigeration work in NSW (except for work on household plug-in appliances). You need a licence regardless of the cost of the work and regardless of whether the work is residential, commercial or industrial.

It is recommended you use a specialist contractor with a refrigeration handling licence and trade qualified. Domestic and commercial split air conditioning will almost always contain refrigerants manufactured from synthetic greenhouse gasses [SGGs] such as R410a, R32, and R22. In Australia, contractors require a Refrigerant Handling License to maintain and service Refrigeration and Air Conditioning [RAC] equipment containing SGGs and other controled refrigerants.

Under the Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Regulations 1995, regulation 111.2b, it is an offence for persons to work on or engage in maintenance and servicing of RACs without appropriate refrigerant licensing.

If you decide to clean your air conditioning equipment ensure that the coil and fins remain undamaged, and be aware of hazards including electric shock and working with pressurised systems. 


To protect customers and the environment Coil Clean Services operates with relevant contractors' licencing. All technicians are fully qualified and hold a Refrigerant Handling Licence as per requirements under Australias' Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Regulations 1995


Air Conditioning Legislation and HVAC Hygiene

The National Construction Code NCC, (Building Code of Australia, BCA) is recognised in legislation in each state and territory of Australia. The BCA references primary standards AS/NZS 1668.1, AS1668.2, and AS/NZS 3666 part 1 and part 2. On-going inspection and maintenance as part of effective HVAC hygiene practice will ensure the equipment can continue to meet these requirements throughout its serviceable life. The ability of air-handling equipment to operate and respond as per design in fire mode is also impacted by HVAC Hygiene, i.e. operation and condition of fire dampers and airflow rates of equipment used in fire mode.


The following list is given to illustrate current statutory requirements and relevant standards. It is not intended as legal advice or an exhaustive guide:

  • National Construction Code (BCA) and its reference to primary design standards AS/NZS 1668.1, AS/NZS 1668.2 and AS /NZS 3666 part 1 and part 2

  • AS/NZS 1668.1 details requirements for fire and smoke control

  • AS 1668.2 prescribes location of air intakes, minimum ventilation and outside air dilution

  • AS/NZS 3666.1 details requirements for microbial control – design, installation, and commissioning

  • AS/NZS 3666.2 details requirements for microbial control – operation and maintenance

  • AS 1851 details maintenance of fire protection systems and equipment including air handling equipment

  • Safe Work Australia – Model Work Health & Safety Regulations, Managing risk from airborne contaminants.

  • Local regulatory and statutory requirements such as NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation and NSW Public Health act may apply depending on the use of the conditioned space.